Grimshaw used Scarborough as a second home from 1876 for three years.

His years at Scarborough were fruitful and successful for him and he depicted the town in great detail in a wide-ranging series of paintings and drawings. This work shows Yew Court from Station Road with the High Street frontage by moonlight and is one of two views of the impressive house on the outskirts of Scarborough, named after its distinctive row of yew trees.

Provenance

Acquired with Yew Court, Scalby by Mr & Mrs J.F.Schippers; by descent; Sotheby's, 1992.




Exhibitions at Scarborough Art Gallery

Back to top